I'm feeling uncommonly cheerful (although a bit bored at work) so I felt like a list of good things:
1. The weather is beautiful. It's like it finally woke up and decided Spring could come. I'm still carrying a jacket but I'm not wearing it - I'm walking around in short sleeves. And I wore sandals today! Today is a high of 25!!! (That's like mid-70's, Americans.) Although I just looked at the five day forecast to get that number, and it says it will rain tomorrow. Boo.
2. I'm going to Athens tomorrow night! Rach (basilm
is already there with Aleks, and I'm joining them soon, soon, soon!
3. I've been watching Bones S2 and loving it. I'm actually having a hard time making myself go slow, but mostly I'm rotating it, American Dreams S3, FNL (still) S1, 30 Rock S1 and my new Gilmore Girls DVDs. Too much TV I know. Oh, and I found Studio 60 on the Virgin on demand TV (free). It's just the first 6 eps, but I'm watching that too for fun. I'm also downloading the last few eps of Gossip Girl. I haven't watched any since strikage, so that's exciting. (Oh, and this doesn't really fit, but the ep about bones where Epps comes back? Terrifying! When I close my eyes at night, I keep seeing the stupid head.)
4. Speaking of Bones...Stephen Fry as a guest star! Whoo-hoo! Awesome.
5. My dad has FINALLY said that he is officially retiring this year. He's been back and forth on it all year, and refusing to commit, but now he's said it. It's about time too - he could have done it like three years ago. Mom will work for another year, but it means that the house-cleanout will begin. Actually, this is partly a sad one too, because it means my parents definitely only have about a year and a half left in country. (They'll retire back to the US, where they haven't lived since, oh, about 1965.) But I am happy for him that he finally made the decision.
6. The Virtual Season 8 is almost over. This too is bittersweet, but man is it going to be a relief to not have it hanging over my head every week. It's been fun, but it's a lot of stress. I don't know if we're doing Season 9 or not, but even if we do, I still have a whole summer hiatus! Yay.
7. I finished Midnight's Children. It was really good, but it did take me ages to get through. Some parts were great (the middle section was the best) and moved really fast, and other parts I kept having to make myself come back to. I don't think it was the best tube reading though, because it took some energy, so I would think "read or sleep? hmmm...i'll just sleep" and there would go that commute. Also, I kept stopping to read other more frivolous stuff in between. Anyways, I finished it Tuesday and started Atonement, which I've been meaning to read for ages. My faith in my reading powers is restored (after taking a beating on MC) because I'm almost done. It's a really fast read, and it definitely sucked me right in. I spend the entire first half on tenterhooks though, because you know what's coming and you're just waiting for it with dread. I wasn't entirely sure if it was due to his powers of description or my spoilery knowledge that I got so on edge, but it meant that when it finally all came to a head, I was almost relieved. I'm planning on finishing it before I leave for Athens, because I have my reading for that trip planned, and the library book of Atonement that I have is too big to take anyway.
8. I'm dog-sitting for a friend which is fun. It also means I'm walking the dog every day, so the good weather could not have had better timing.
9. My brother and I set a time to call on Skype tonight. This is good because it's been forever (ok a week) since I've talked to him. We need to catch up before I go to Athens.
10. (Mostly because it needs to be even numbers.) Did I mention we recently got a lease signed? Oh of course! And I move out in less than a month. Love. (basilm
call your landlord!!)